Pages

Thursday, December 25, 2014

MINI-REVIEW: Laggies

MOVIE
Laggies

CAST
Keira Knightley,
Chloë Grace Moretz

RATING
R

RELEASE
October 24, 2014 (NY/LA)

DIRECTOR
Lynn Shelton

STUDIO
A24

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 40 minutes






STARS
***1/4







REVIEW:

Being in my senior year of high school currently, I always wonder how my life is going to be ten years from now when I'm trying to get my life on track.  Hopefully, I won't be in the situation that Keira Knightley's character in "Laggies" is in.  Knightley's character, Megan, is a twenty-something woman who hasn't done much to improve or enhance her life in anyway from her high school self.  She still lives with her high school boyfriend, and her current job involves flipping a marketing sign outside of her father's office.  Megan sees that her life isn't the way she wants it to be, so she escapes her adult life and ends up befriending/staying with a 16 year old girl named Annika and her father Craig.  What follows from there is a predictable and flawed, but well-acted and sweet movie that gets the job done and overall acts in the way that "comfort food" does.

Keira Knightley, Chloë Grace Moretz, and Kaitlyn Dever all deliver delightful, humorous, and even real performances that help to carry the film's rather typical flare.  The movie itself is predictable and features characters, those in particular played by actors such as Mark Webber and Ellie Kemper, that aren't the least bit interesting and, frankly, aren't written that well.  The ending also felt a little abrupt if you ask me, but that's only a minor nitpick I have compared to everything else.  Overall, there was more here that I liked than disliked, so in that regard I'm glad I got to see it. "Laggies" won't change your life in anyway, but it most likely will make you feel good and give you a nice time while watching a film.




PREVIEWS YOU MAY SEE:

Inherent Vice

Big Eyes

A Most Violent Year

While We're Young





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh