Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2015

MINI-REVIEW: Paddington

MOVIE
Paddington

CAST
Ben Whishaw, Hugh Bonneville

RATING
PG

RELEASE
January 16, 2015

DIRECTOR
Paul King

STUDIO
TWC-Dimension

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 35 minutes







STARS
***1/2








REVIEW:

I'm not gonna lie: when I first saw the trailer for "Paddington," I didn't think it look good at all.  It seemed like a pointless adaptation of a character barely anyone from this generation has heard of with bathroom jokes galore.  Boy, am I glad that I was wrong on that.  Not only does this have little to no sexual, toilet, or crude humor, but it also has an engaging story featuring likable characters and an entertaining villain.  Plus, the film's brand of humor isn't just funny, but it also has an intelligence to it that seems to be paying homage to the films of Wes Anderson, particularly "Fantastic Mr. Fox."  I will admit that the predictability of the film was front and center, and some of the characters themselves seem to be on a single note at times, but it's really hard to deny that "Paddington" succeeds at being a harmless, charming, and even kind of dark family movie that kids and adults will enjoy.  Heck, maybe the adults will enjoy it more because they will get more of the jokes present here than the kids will.  I'm really happy that I listened to my gut and gave this film a shot, because now I can happily recommend this to those who want something intelligent and sweet for their children to see.






PREVIEWS YOU MAY SEE:

Monkey Kingdom

Minions

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2

Home

Underdogs






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh